Dahi Bhindi ..or.. Bhindi Raita.. Many names.. Same True Taste and Coolness


Many of my friends are not from Odisha. When I was going through my posts, I thought ... hhhmmm... my non-odiya friends... will they like mustard paste and what not.. I should make something for them which they can relate to and still it should be kind of Odiya..

What better than "curd" (Yoghurt) can I remember my friends from Hyderabad and Bangalore. Every lunch.. every dinner.. I have to put out curd for sure. One of my very close friends said.. "We end all our meals with curd.. no matter what the weather is" !!

So I thought, what do we Odiyas make with curd.. Pakhala bhata yes.. but they won't know how to eat it.. :) Next.. any raita.. but even in Nothern India they make raita.. why should I make just raita for them.. next moment.. I looked at the bright green bhindi.. and it struck me.. "Of course.. Dahi Bhindi" .. So here it is.. ...



Here is what you need....simple ingredients
  • 10-12 small sized bhindis (okras) cut into 1/2" pieces.
  • 2 cups of thick curd (measure in 250 ml. cup).
  • 1 small red onion (has to be red please) longitudinally cut.
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
  • 1 teaspoon oil.
  • 5-6 curry leaves.
  • Salt to taste

First fry the bhindi pieces in a small amount of oil (uncovered) till they are soft. I call it dry fry. Well its actually not dry. We have to use a little oil.

Take the bhindi out and keep aside.

In the mean time, take curd, 1/2 cup of water, salt and add wee bit sugar and whip 'em all together.

Add the fried bhindi to this mixture. Let the bhindi seep some curd flavor.

Now, add a little oil to the same pan and let it heat up.

Add green chilies + mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
Now add onions and curry leaves together. This keeps the leaves greener and the aroma stays too.

Fry until the onions turn pink and translucent. Don't over fry to make it brown. Just pink is fine.

Transfer everything to the curd+bhindi mix. Mix 'em up real nice.

You don't have to keep it fridge if you are serving within 2-3 hours. If you want to keep it overnight, I'd say .. please do not. It does not taste good when cold and you can not even heat it because it has curd. So, you gotta make it fresh.. always !!

Enjoy with any pulao or biryani or serve it as a side dish with you delicious vegetarian lunch. Enjoy !!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara