Pineapple Malpua

During this shelter-in-place situation, there's nothing much to do around the house other than cooking & cleaning & then cooking & cleaning again. The social media is full of lively recipes, things that people are cooking all over the world as we go through these unprecedented times of uncertainty.

People are stuck in their homes & cooking is definitely the most popular pass time activity (other than working out in the garage or binge watching Netflix). So obviously, platforms like Facebook & Instagram are flooded with lovely recipes for stuff that people will only think of making if there's a dire situation (like the lockdown).

One of those recipes is Jalebi. No this blog is NOT about Jalebi. But Jalebis definitely are making the rounds on social media & getting made at almost every household kitchen these days. Hence we decided to make jalebi too. Well, let me just say that I did not add the jalebi to this blog (yet) because for me it was a total failure. Making it from scratch seemed easy but it did not work for me. The frying, the crooked shape, the sugar syrup fiasco - all pointed to me that I am not a near good jalebi maker.

Only one good thing happened from all that jalebi making - I had left over sugar syrup.

So I needed to make something that was not Jalebi & will need similar consistency of sugar syrup.
Malpuas came to mind. So I started scouring the internet for recipes & I found an easy one on BongCook book. I had made this earlier too so I am confident. So here it goes.



What I used

  • 1 cup - All purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup - Suji/ Rava
  • 1/3 cup - Crushed pineapple (I had cubed ones which I chopped up real fine)
  • 1.5 cups - 2% milk
  • Left over sugar syrup from my awful jalebi making experience (1 cup sugar + 1 cup water + few strands of Saffron --> Heated on low heat until one strand consistency)
  • Oil to deep fry
  • A flat-ish plan to deep fry the puas 

Process
  • Mix up Flour + Milk + Suji + Pineapple 
  • Give it a good mix
  • Keep it covered for 2 hours
  • Next heat the oil in the wide pan (Like so)

  • When oil is medium hot (Not too hot, silly), fry the Puas (Ladle one small ladle full of the mix into the medium hot oil - It should sink not float at first). 
  • Turn & fry till it's brown
  • Once cooked, get the pua out of the oil & directly into the sugar syrup (Which should be kept warm - So keep it on the LOWEST possible heat setting on your stove). 

  • Until the next batch of puas was done, I kept the first batch in the syrup. 
  • When the next batch was done, out came the old ones from the syrup & in went the new ones. You know how to goes.. In & Out.. Don't you?? 
Final product looked like this. My sister insisted that I took a picture outside in the garden but it was evening & I was (once again) loosing my patience. So this is the best I could muster up. 



Enjoy !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara