Pizza Flavored Papdi

 Some days I remember home very very much. The smell of fresh air back home is so different. Even if I had my eyes shut, I'd still know it. 

Those are the days, when all I do is dream with my open eyes of the day when I will be with my mom, in her kitchen, making snacks & other foos items for everyone while everyone else watched TV or enjoyed the amazing Odisha weather on the roof top garden. 

Since COVID started, we have all been cooped up at home. No parties to go to. No parks to ride our bikes in. No library. No mall. No going to friends house for tea. No potluck dinners. No hanging out with our loved ones. No take out off especially Pizza. Sitting at home & just watching Netflix is definitely not a good pass time but we do it anyways. 

So I decided to make something which will take time (so that I keep busy) and taste good for the kids (meaning not spicy at all) and may be have some flavors that we usually don't make at home. Pizza flavors came to mind since we have all the herbs at home which pertains to the classic pizza flavor (Oregano, Basil etc) but don't have Pizza base & I have no idea how to make a Pizza base either. 

Hence the search on YouTube started to find foods that have Pizza flavors but don't need a Pizza base. 

Sandwiches, Quesadillas, Parathas & finally Mathri/Papdi came up. I picked Papdi, since it sounded fun & I can store it for a little while longer in an airtight container. 

What I used.

  • 1 cup Atta - Wheat Flour ( I am sure Maida can be used as well but I used Atta)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp of the following dried herbs/spices (Make more for stronger flavor/spiciness)
    • Oregano
    • Basil
    • Parsley
    • Pepper
    • Thyme
    • Red Chili Flakes
    • Garlic Powder
  • 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
  • More Oil to deep fry
  • Rolling Pin & Rolling Base
  • A small circular bottle cap (To cut equal sized Papdis)
  • A fork to make indents in the Papdis
  • Deep kadai to deep fry the Papdis
Process
  • First make a stiff dough using Atta + all dried herbs/spices + 4tbsp oil + water
  • Let it rest for 30 mins. 
  • Take a big mound of the dough & make a big circle on the Rolling base.
  • Then cut out the Papdis using the bottle cap
  • Make indents in the papdis using the fork
  • Then fry in low-medium heat until they are brown & crisp.
  • Since they are made of Atta - they are more brown that regular papdis. 


Enjoy with hot tea or just by themselves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara