Pabda Fish Fry

With the hot summer these days in California, "Pakhala Bhata" is a must on the weekends especially Saturdays lunch. Saturdays are usually free, because the idea of weekend is fair and fresh in my mind. Its only after lunch that I start realizing that I have so many other non-office stuff to do over the weekend.. and that kind of ruins my Sunday.. well.. almost always.. :)



Back to Pakhala.... Any fry, fritter, bharta, bhaja.. applies as the side dish.. so this time, its a very simple fish fry .. The "Pabda" fish itself is buttery and soft and nice.. but we bought it frozen from the Bangla Bazaar.. after that it was kept outside for coming to room temperature for like 15-20 mins.. I did not defrost in the microwave, I am scared of doing that to any indian fish..

I did not cut the fish, just cleaned the gill part and done. 

Marinate with salt + turmeric + lemon juice + wee bit red chili powder (Yes, exactly 5 ingredients including the fish.. no more.. ) .. Leave for 20 - 25 mins. I don't event marinate frozen fish. Its important that it is in room temperature. 

Now, heat 2 tea spoons of mustard oil in a open face pan.. when hot, add the whole fishes. 
Fry on both sides, till golden brown. Beware that the exhaust fans have to working in perfect condition in your kitchen. This fish will yield a hot of smoke along with the smoky mustard oil.




Enjoy with white rice and dal if you may.. tastes equally good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara