Posto Paneer - Paneer with poppy seeds paste

This story is an old one... :)

The sad story of working girls is that, we don't get enough time for our own friends... its family in the morning, work in the day, gym in the evening and family again at night...

Suddenly, all my girl friends started to feel the same way that I did.. so we decided to have a girls night in.. where no guys were invited, just us girls.. it was a potluck...

So emails started flowing from friends.. as to who would make what !! Once of my very good friends.. emailed me.. asking if I can make my "kass-kass-paneer"... I was like.. "I have no idea.. what that is".. and she goes.. am sure.. you made it somewhere... else how will I know..

But then, I was already assigned dessert.. so I kept quite.. but it still kept me inquisitive as to what is kass-kass-paneer.. so I started searching.. and while doing that.. I understood .. she meant.. "khas-khas" i.e. poppy seeds. or posto as we call it.. So in the next lunch party I made that and that friend of mine had also come.. and she goes.. "How did you make this.. you said.. you had nooooo idea !! ".. I smiled.. and said.. you said "kass-kass" .. which means saute' hard in Odiya.. and I got confused !! Its actually "khas-khas" meaning poppy seeds !!!





She smiles.. and says.. whatever it is . its yummy !!.. so here goes the recipe for all the paneer lovers out there...

Ingredients
  • 1 pack store bought paneer, cubed and sauteed in a little oil till brown
  • 4 tbl spoons posto (poppy seeds) dry ground in grinder
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 medium tomato
  • 4-5 green chillies
  • 4-5 curry leaves
  • fresh coriander leaves for garnish
  • 1/2 cup whole milk or half-n-half or heavy cream
  • Palm full kasoori methi - crushed between your palms
  • 1" ginger (frozen is better.. you have to grate it)
  • Salt and oil of course

Process here:
  • Cube the paneer block and saute' in a little oil till the cubes is brown on skin but still soft. Do not over fry, else it will be all rubbery.


  • Heat oil in a kadhai till very hot. Splutter a little bit of cumin seeds.
  • Then add green chillies + onion + curry leaves together and fry till the onion is brownish in color.
  • Now, grate the ginger on top of the onions and fry for a minute.
  • Then add the diced tomatoes and salt and start frying up.
  • Once the tomatoes are mushy, add the green & red bell peppers + green peas to the masala and fry up nice and good.


  • Once the veggies are 25% done still crunchy.. add posto powder + heavy cream + 1/2 cup water and let it simmer. You may cover it as well for faster simmer.
  • Once the gravy starts simmering, add the paneer and reduce the gravy to the consistency that you need.


  • Sprinkle kasoori methi on top of this
  • Garnish with fresh & green coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice or whatever it is that you may like.


Enjoy !!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara