Moong Daal & Vegetable Uttapam

 I will go back to my favorite saying... "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going". 

This is my mantra for my evening dinners these days. During the day, work (office, house & kids) keep me super busy & I totally forget to plan for dinners. So when the clock strikes 5pm, my mind always goes into the fridge & tries to figure out what to cook which will be easy & healthy and will be liked (and swallowed) by kids). 




This twist on my all time favorite spinach Moong daal dosa, incorporates a variety of vegetables & makes a yummy uttapam for week night dinners. 

What I used..

  • 2 cups skinless moong daal
  • Small piece of ginger + 1 green chili
  • 7 or 8 curry leaves - finely chopped
  • 1 cup finely grated carrots (Use the good old chopper & the task will be SO easy)
  • 1 cup finely grated cabbage
  • 1 bunch green onions - very very finely chopped
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Garam masala (or skip if your family does not like it)
  • Red chilli flakes (skip if your family does not like it)
  • A cast iron tava or pan
  • Oil to cook the uttapam

Process...

The moong daal needs soaking so whenever you come down to the kitchen to get a drink of water or get tea, just measure out 2 cups of  the moon daal in enough water to cover the lentils & leave it alone for whenever you are ready.

Grind the moong daal with water +ginger + green chili until a smooth paste/ batter is formed. 

Mix the batter with the rest of the ingredients & keep aside for 15 mins. Let the batter rest. 

Make the Uttapams like usual. So that will be heat pan --> brush hot pan with wee bit oil --> spread some amount of batter on the pan --> cook both sides until golden brown.

Serve hot with ketchup (for kids) and chutney (for grownups). I had it with ketchup BTW... :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara