Mutton Biryani In The Oven

This is an old story which never got published.
But I did write it though !!

From some week in January 2020....

This last week was totally crazy. It was the first week after the holiday break & there was so much to do. Schools re-opened, which meant we had to meal plan & run like headless chickens starting @ 6am till 7:45am. Amidst all this, some office friends had planned a "Lets welcome the new year" potluck party. Unfortunately that party didn't happen as planned. But me being me had a plan written down & I wanted to make mutton biryani (as planned for the party). So here's how I did it.



"Three Cheers" from me to folks who believe in their plans & work to see it through no matter what the circumstances are. The year 2020 is a new beginning for me. I don't have much resolutions to keep (other than the generic ones which I make every year & then forget by Valentine's day - aka loose weight & fit into a size 6 dress). But this year, I will be a "believer". I will believe in my plans & dreams. I will believe in the goodness of people. I will believe in myself.

What I used (Complete ingredients list by group - Nothing crazy here)

  • 4Lbs Goat Meat
  • 6 cups Basmati rice
  • Ground Masala Paste
    • Onions + 
    • Ginger + 
    • Garlic + 
    • Cumin Seeds + 
    • Cinnamon stick
  • Marinating Stuff needed on Day-1
    • 1 cup yoghurt
    • 2-3 tbsp Meat Masala
    • 2-3 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
    • 2-3 tsp Garam masala powder
    • 2 tbsp Biryani Powder
    • 2 tbsp Ground Masala Paste
    • Juice of 1/2 Lemon (Yellow kind)
    • Salt + Turmeric
    • 1/2 cup Fried Onions (Store Bought)
    • 1/2 cup chopped Coriander Leaves
    • 1/3 cup (or so) chopped Mint Leaves
    • Couple of slit green chillies
    • 1/2 cup (or so) Mustard oil
  • Dry Whole Spices to boil with Rice
    • Cinnamon stick
    • Shahi Jeera
    • Biryani Flower
    • Bay leaf
    • Cloves
    • Black Cardamom
    • Green Cardamoms
  • Things that you need during layering
    • 1/4 cup milk + Orange food color + Wee bit biryani essence
    • Generous amount of ghee (I must have used like 2 - 4 tbsps I think)
    • Garam masala powder (For sprinkling)
    • Slit green chillies
    • Chopped Coriander Leaves + Chopped Mint Leaves


Steps

Day -1
I made the ground masala paste (In a big batch). Used some of the marinade & saved the rest for the rest of the week.

Then I marinated the goat with everything under the "Marinating stuff" & kept in the refrigerator overnight (Like 9 hours or so). I kept it tightly covered with aluminum foil. No mixing-matching of smells please.




Day -2
Step 1 : I wash the rice thoroughly (Like 3 or 4 times by massaging the rice with my palms & fingers of the right hand) & then left it soaking in water for about 40mins.

Step 2 : I took a big boiling pot and boiled water + salt + all dry whole spices under "Dry whole spices" list.



Step 3 : I pre-heated the oven (GE electric - regular home edition) to 400 F & kept the rack at the second from bottom shelf.

Step 4 : Once the water started to boil (Literally boil not just "looking like it's going to boil"), I drained extra water from the soaked rice & added it. Gave it to good stir & left it until the rice grains started to dance on the water (about 17 mins for 6 cups of rice).

Step 5 : Next, I drained the "half" cooked rice unto a colander. I made sure all the rice grains are emptied from the boiling pot because mind it - we eat biryani for the rice first & then the meat.

Step 6 : In the same boiling pot which has nothing in it right now (All the rice is in the colander remember?), I heated 1 tbsp mustard oil & once hot enough (not smoky), I added the marinated meat. Gave it to good stir to make sure oil has touched all pieces (well almost all pieces) & switched off the stove.

Step 7 : I got "Stuff for layering" ready (List above under ingredients - you are paying attention, aren't you?)

Step 8 : Started layering in the below sequence starting with #1 at the bottom.

  1. Aluminum Container (Which is where I cooked the biryani).
  2. Wee bit mustard oil - I spread it just to touch almost the whole container.
  3. Marinated meat - All spread out in one layer only
  4. "Half" cooked rice - All spread out in one layer only & making sure it covers all meat
  5. Colored & flavored milk (Added in lines)
  6. Garam masala (Sprinkled all over)
  7. Ghee (added in small dollops)
  8. Green chillies (Scattered all over)
  9. Chopped coriander & mint leaves (Scattered all over)









Step 9 : I tightly sealed the aluminum container using aluminum foil. 

Step 10 : I baked the biryani in the oven for 40 mins + 5 mins + 12 mins on 350F (How? - After 45 mins on 400F , I reduced the temperature to 350F & set the timer to 12 mins ...silly). 

Step 11 : I left the biryani in the oven until we were ready to eat it. It was served with a simple onion raita. Final product picture is below.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara