Chuda Santula

Poha (Flattened Rice) is a staple carb. found in all Indian households. Irrespective of which state of India you belong to, I am sure, your childhood has some "Poha" related recipe that you can totally relate to. 

My story is something different. Yes. I used to know "Poha" as "Chuda" (Pronounce as Choo-daa). And no, we did not eat the world famous Poha (Flattened Rice cooked with onions & spices). We ate it is with ripe bananas & sugar for breakfast. We used to eat it sometimes with homemade chenna & jaggery. Yes, eating chuda was a nightmare back home. I did not like it then & I am not a big fan today as well. 





But when I came to Mumbai, I was SO Happily Surprised that "Chuda" can be cooked with savory flavors too. It is actually cooked & not just mushed up with bananas. Thats when I found that even in Odisha we have this recipe but it's just that my mother did not make it at home. 



Since my Mumbai days, I have been a SUPER FAN of "Chuda Santula" or "Chuda Upma" or "Poha". In Mumbai they only added onions & sometimes green peas but I being the healthy mom now, I add tons of veggies into it. This is my home-made recipe & we all LOVE IT !!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of thick poha - Washed under running water - No need to soak in water. Just keep in the colander & you are good. 
  • Lots of chopped veggies. Use your favorite ones. I used, carrots cauliflower, beans, green peas & celery (Yes Celery & it tastes yummy). 
  • 1/4 cup finally chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup finally chopped green coriander leaves
  • 1/2 a tomato - chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds + 1 tsp mustard seeds + couple of curry leaves + 2 green chillies chopped
  • Mustard oil - About 2-3 tbsp
  • Salt + Turmeric + Kitchen King Masala powder + wee bit sugar
  • Roasted peanuts - 1/4 cup (or more if you like more crunch) 
Process
  • In a heavy bottom pan, heat the mustard oil. 
  • When oil is hot, add the cumin seeds + mustard seeds + curry leaves + chopped green chillies & let them splutter
  • Next goes in all the veggies + onions + salt + turmeric + kitchen king masala powder
  • Cover & cook until all the veggie are cooked nicely. Try not to mush them to a pulp. 
  • Add the tomatoes now & give it a good mix. 
  • Once the tomatoes are softened, add the washed Poha + wee bit sugar --> adjust for salt
  • Give everything a good mix. 
  • If you feel like the Poha is too dry, sprinkle some water & cover the pan & that will soften the Poha. 
  • Last, add the roasted peanuts + coriander leaves. 
  • Serve hot with a sprinkle of thin sev. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara