Veggie Rainbow Pasta

 Some nights just call for hot, creamy, cheesy, veggie-loaded, gluten-full pasta. 

Yes, during the current pandemic, there have been days where I totally forget that gluten is my enemy. Gluten causes migraine for me & I try to steer clear of it whenever possible. But this pasta had so many colors & so many flavors & such heavenly aroma of garlic & mushrooms that I just could not resist myself.

The portion you see in the pictures is not mine. I ate 1/3rd of it or may be less but BOY was it yummy. 

So here goes the recipe inspired by my Bhabhi who does not love to cook but whenever she does the dishes turn out YUMMY !!

What I used

  • 1 box (20oz) rainbow pasta (Barilla is a easily available brand here in California but I am sure you could use any other too)
    • Cooked as per packet instructions
    • When you drain the pasta, reserve some of the pasta water for later use (may be 1/2 cup)
  • 2 X 8oz packets of white button mushrooms - so that's total 16oz
    • Cleaned properly
    • Sliced into thin slices
  • 2 cups of chopped baby spinach
    • I used the packaged baby spinach
  • 1 large Garlic (Yes the entire garlic which will yield around 12-14 pods)
    • Chopped fine
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • Grated parmesan cheese
    • I had the powder one but I have tried with the grated one & that is much better, so use whatever you have at hand
  • Salt + Pepper + Dried Basil (As per your taste preference)
  • Chili flakes (Totally optional)
  • A big heavy bottom pot
  • A sturdy spatula

Process
  • Heat the olive oil in the heavy bottom pan
  • When hot, add the garlic & fry for 2mins
  • Next goes in the mushrooms + Salt + Pepper
  • Fry un-covered for 12 mins until mushrooms have brown edges. There should be no water. 
    • If you like mushrooms a bit mushy, you may cover & cook them too but I will not advise that. 
  • Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the spinach & give it a good mix.
    • Spinach does not take much time to cook. May be 5mins max. 
  • Next add the cooked pasta + pasta water + dried basil
  • Mix them up nicely & then cover the pan.
  • Depending on how long the cooked pasta was sitting in the strainer, it might need a bit more covered cooking so that it absorbs the moisture from the veggies & the pasta water. 
  • When the pasta has been completely mixed with the veggies & spices and look shiny, add the grated cheese & give everything a good mix.
  • Please do not cover after you have added the cheese.
  • Pasta is ready to be served. Red wine goes best with this pasta. :) 
  • Sprinkle some cheese on top right before serving to make the plate look pretty. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara