Instant Pot Rice Kheeri

 Do you remember any wedding that you went to which had amazing desserts? Any reception or wedding party where you enjoyed a bowl full of kheer rather than the actual main course meal? 





I do. I remember very vividly my brother-in-law's wedding in Winter 2010 where the rice kheer (In Odiya we call it Kheeri) was to die for. Whoever knows me will know that I do not have a sweet tooth. I don't prefer sweets. Given the choice between sweet & savory, I will always pick savory. BUT... this kheeri was so yummy & the more it sat in the fridge, it tasted yummier. 

After some asking around, I found that the trick was the whole milk & milk powder that was used & the kheer was cooked on low heat for a very very long time and it had the perfect mix of rice + mik etc etc. Well all these statements were not really helping me because no one (I repeat NO ONE) knew the exact measurements. 

So I tried & tested this recipe almost every year during the winter break (Because that is when I get time). I have tried it in Open pan vs Pressure cooker vs Instant Pot (pretty recently). I have tried all ratios of rice & milk. I have tried using evaporated milk vs condensed milk vs use regular whole milk and so on. 

This recipe is the perfect one that works for my family & is the LEAST amount of efforts. If you have all the ingredients in your pantry & fridge, then this recipe literally takes 5 mins of cooking + 20mins of IP cooking + 20mins of resting & that's it. 

What I used

  • 1/3 cup of Kheer rice or Govind-bhog rice. This is a small grain fragrant rice. 
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 can (8oz) Evaporated Milk (Full Fat)
  • 24 oz 2% milk
  • 1/4 cup Cashews
  • Handful of Raisins
  • 4-5 cardamoms (Crushed)
  • 3 bay leaves (whole)
  • 1 tbsp Ghee
  • Instant Pot 6Qt. 
  • Wooden Spatula
Process
  • Set the IP on Saute mode
  • When hot, add ghee & fry the cashews & raisins
  • Next add the Bay leaves + rice & fry for a bit (like 10 seconds max)
  • Next add the Evaporated Milk + Regular Milk + Sugar + Cardamoms
  • Give it a good mix
  • Close the IP & set it as Porridge Mode for 20minutes with Vent on Closed mode
  • Let the pressure release naturally.
  • Usually Kheer tastes great when left overnight but if you are in a hurry you are free to enjoy it after the IP has released all the pressure naturally (It takes about 20 more minutes or so)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara