Masala Atta Chakuli

"Chakuli" in Odisha comes in mainly three forms:

  1. Regular Chakuli - Made with Dosa batter (Rice + Urad Daal) - 
  2. Maida Chakuli - Made with Maida a.k.a Refined All-purpose flour
  3. And finally Atta chakuli - Made with "Atta" a.k.a Whole wheat flour
Atta Chakuli is usually a form of sweet pancake in Odisha. It is a very good breakfast usually made on week days where making roti/paratha is either boring or time consuming. Growing up, I was not a fan of the dish though because it is sweet & as a kid I did not have a sweet tooth. I still don't & I think I am blessed because sugar kills (like literally). 




This recipe was a result of three things...
- I was sick of eating rice & poha (basically gluten-free) and wanted something different but should have tons of veggies 🍅 🌽 🌶 
- I wanted something that is NOT sweet
- I did not want to make roti (I am not very good at it & the Rotimatic is resting in the garage)

Because of the above mentioned reasons, I started searching the good old YouTube for Cheela recipes Cheela is yet another Indian style pancake which is usually savory & is made with variety of flours & has simplistic spices & basic veggies like onions & green chillies. There are a lot of recipes out there but I decided to mix up a few of them & make my own. 
Most of the recipes on YouTube had the basic onions + green chillies & some used yoghurt but no veggies. So I decided to try & mix them all together. 


So here goes the list of ingredients & recipe.

What I used
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1.2 cup regular (unflavored) yoghurt
  • Choice of veggies - really really finely chopped (I used a chopper for the finest possible chopped veggies)
    • About 1/4 cup of cabbage
    • About 1/4 cup of carrots
    • Less than 1/4 cup of onions
    • About 1/4 cup of green beans
    • 2 -3 green chillies
    • About 1/4 cup tomatoes (without the seeds)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • Salt + Turmeric
  • Red chili powder (Very little)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • A Non-stick pan to cook the "Chakuli" & a wooden spatula
  • Oil for cooking

Process
  • Mix "Atta" & Yoghurt together in a large bowl until there are no lumps
  • Mix all other ingredient (except for the oil) & make a batter with pouring consitency
  • Heat a non-stick pan & wipe it off with a piece of kitchen tissue to grease the surface
  • Keep the stove on low-med. Pour a ladle full of the batter & spread it
  • Sprinkle oil on the sides & let it cook
  • The cooking process takes time because atta takes time to cook so please be patient.
  • Once the top of the chakuli changes color & the edges show brown color, turn the chakuli & cook on the other side. 
  • I did not use much oil but you could use it.
  • Approximately, after 2 mins the chakuli will be fully cooked.
  • Take it off the pan & serve hot with some tomato chutney or ketchup.


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

    Chicken Patra Poda

    Chicken Besara