Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake

 The holidays always brings the zeal to bake. I am unsure why that is but every time Thanksgiving & Christmas holidays come around, you'd see almost everyone in the world will be baking something at home. The sweet smell of home baked goodies is so satisfying that even if I am staying away from Gluten, I want to bake cakes & cookies & tarts and stuff my family with them. 

PS : No, I am not allergic, I am just reducing gluten in my diet to help with my migraines

Growing up in Odisha, cakes & cookies were a rare thing. Mother would bake this simple vanilla cake in her Bajaj electric oven (with a glass top) or in her BIG HUGE Hawkins pressure cooker without the sealing ring or whistle and it'd be perfect in taste. Sometimes the cake's top would be so puffed up that it'd look like a volcano (Hindi word : Jwalamukhi). 

This simple tutti fruity cake is kind of inspired by that home made vanilla cake that mother used to bake. Most of her bakes were eggless & I am trying to kind of keep up. 

So here goes the recipe for my trial with the Eggless Tutti Frutti cake for this holiday season. I must warn you that this cake is not the kind that you get in stores which are super fluffy. This has no eggs hence a bit on the dense side & it goes beautifully with tea or coffee. It's a bit on the harder side but it is smooth & soft too. You know what I mean !!!!!


What I used

  • 1.5 cups Refined AP flour
  • 3/4 cup Refined Sugar (I used White, Have not tested with Brown ever)
  • 1/4 tsp Baking soda
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 3/4 cup Yoghurt (NOT sour please)
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1/4 cup filtered water
  • 1/4 cup Tutti Frutti (I had the ones that were ONLY green, but you can use the colorful ones too)



Process

  • Set the oven to 350 F - Let it pre-heat
  • Line & spray a bread tin (The rectangular kind)
  • In a large bowl, cream nicely together (using a wire whisk) until smooth..
    • Yoghurt
    • Sugar
    • Oil
    • Water
    • Vanilla essence
  • Then add the 
    • AP flour
    • Baking Powder
    • Baking Soda
  • Give everything a good mix using the Mix & cut process. Try using a spatula at this point & not the wire whisk so that you don't land up over whisking the mixture. We want the mixture to be evenly mixed but not whisked badly. Makes sense?
  • Last but not the least, add the Tutti Frutti pieces. You can decrease or increase as your taste goes. I added the 1/4 cup first & then added a few more just because I was feeling festive. 
  • Give everything a good mix (again, do not overman or whisk)
  • Transfer the contents to the lined & sprayed Bread tine (We really want that rectangular shape - It's the classic tea cake shape)
  • Bake for 30 mins + 10mins (Or until the cake passes the toothpick test)
  • Cool in the tin for 15minutes & then transfer to a wire rack to cool further. 
  • This cake tastes good while a little warm, so whenever you eat it, warm it a wee bit in the MW. If no MW the just eat it like that. It will taste good... No Matter What !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara