Instant Pot Gajar Halwa

 Thanks to my dependable Vegetable chopper & the super innovative Instant Pot, making Gajar Halwa is literally "Halwa" (Indian street language for something super easy & silly). 

It was an Odiya festival. Now, I have forgotten which exact festival it was but I do remember is that we were asked to make "bhoga" for "thakura" and something sweet should be made for "Thakura". Also, it was a weekend & I was in the mood for wearing saree (it being a festival & all). So there I was draped in a yellow saree which my M.I.L gave me the first time I went to her home after the wedding, with my small food chopper & about 2 Lbs of carrots, all ready to make the famous Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Porridge)

What I used

  • 2 Lbs Carrots 
    • Cleaned --> Peeled --> Chopped into small pieces --> Chopped further in the food chopper into very very fine (almost created) texture
  • 4 - 5 tbsp Ghee
  • 1/4 cups halved cashews
  • 1/4 cups raisins
  • 4 cardamoms crushed in the mortar-pestle
  • 1/3 cup Sugar (I used very less, please adjust per your taste)
  • Around 500 ml full fat milk
  • My 6Qt. Instant Pot
  • Wooden Spatula
Process
  • Plug in the instant pot & set it on Saute' mode. While that heats up, keep everything ready because this process will go really fast & quick. :) 
  • Add ghee --> Fry the cashews & raisins
  • Once dry fruits are fried, add the carrots & crushed cardamoms & give everything a good mix
  • Next goes in the milk & sugar --> Give it all a good mix
  • Set the IP to Pressure Cook for 8 minutes (For 2 Lbs carrots this was enough - Adjust if you think it is not enough but I think 8 minutes is a minimum needed) with Vent in sealing mode.
  • Let the pressure naturally release for 8 more minutes & then let the rest of the pressure out manually (By turning the vent to venting)
  • Open the IP lid & give everything a good mix. If the mixture is too dry, add some more milk & saute' on High for 5 minutes. 
  • Serve WARM. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Almond Flour Mango Cake

Chicken Patra Poda

Chicken Besara